Maze has recently updated its pricing structure, while the features it offers have stayed largely the same. This has led to many customers seeking an alternative platform and we believe UXtweak is a great solution. See for yourself in this in-depth Maze vs UXtweak comparison.
Table of contents
- Maze vs UXtweak: Features and capabilities
- Maze vs UXtweak: User reviews
- UXtweak vs Maze: Pricing and plans
➡️ UXtweak offers all the tools of Maze and more
➡️ Both offer access to a panel of participants, a participant management solution, and the option to bring your own participants for free
➡️ UXtweak offers advanced targeting on all plans (130+ countries, 2000+ profiling attributes), Maze only on its most expensive Organization plan
➡️ Maze has restricting limits regarding the number of studies on all plans, UXtweak offers unlimited studies on all plans
➡️ UXtweak plans offer more tools at a lower price, offering better value for money
➡️ Reviews score average at 4.8/5 for UXtweak and 4.5/5 for Maze
🐝 Register for a free account on UXtweak now and try it out!
Disclaimer: Yes, UXtweak is our platform, but we firmly believe that UXtweak offers a great alternative to those looking for a Maze alternative. As we will demonstrate in this article.
Maze vs UXtweak: Features and Capabilities
In the table below we compared the main tools and features both platforms have to offer.
you can test apps from App Store/Google Play, TestFlight, APK, and more
Open (in Team an Organization plan)
(all available in all plans)
Survey (with conditional logic)
In the Starter plan and higher
In all plans
First Click Testing
Five Second Testing
Session recordings + Heatmaps
Video Recordings (Clips)
Available only when testing with your own participants
Available when you order participants from the user panel and when testing with your own participants
Participant management solution
Testers form 130+ countries, 2000+ profiling attributes
Advanced Targeting Criteria
Only in Organization plan
Targeting on other plans only by basic demographics (Country, Age, Sex)
Advanced targeting (2000+ profiling attributes) of testers from all over the world available in all plans
Only in the highest Organization plan
Customizable branding in all paid plans
Password protection of studies
Only in the Organization plan
In all paid plans
As you can see the toolkit of UXtweak is more varied. More features and capabilities are also available in all plans, unlike in Maze which often saves important features only for the highest Organization plan.
Maze vs UXtweak: User Reviews
The user reviews are based on user feedback from the renowned software review platform Capterra.
Ease of Use
Value for money
Pros of Maze:
- Good prototype testing tool for simple prototypes with integration with many prototyping tools
- AI functions like sentiment analysis to aid you in analyzing results
The main cons of Maze people complain about:
Many customers are relatively satisfied with Maze, however, there is a considerable amount of people that have some issues with the software. The most often mentioned cons of Maze are:
- Poor targeting options
- Limited research features
- Trouble with testing larger prototypes
The main pros of UXtweak:
- A large variety of tools with the best capabilities
- Access to a broad and qualified tester pool on all plans
- Automatic QA of responses ordered from the panel and expert audit of the study included with every recruiting order
- Unlimited number of studies
- Expert support with fast response times
- Clear and easy-to-understand reports
- Competitive pricing
Cons of UXtweak:
- It takes some time to learn how to navigate the dashboard
Maze vs UXtweak: Pricing and Plans
First, let’s look at the basic pricing structure (all billed annually) and then we will explore some common use cases when it comes to buying the subscriptions.
- Starter plan – $1,188/year ($99/month)
- Team plan – $15,000/year ($1,250/month)
- Organization plan – custom
The Starter plan in Maze offers allows only 1 study/month, which in our opinion makes it hardly usable for serious freelance or solo UX researchers.
The Team plan, on the other hand, is a big jump in scope (and price) with a minimum of 5 seats/licenses and still only 20 studies per year.
- Free Starter plan for small studies (no time limit)
- Plus plan – $49 / month
- Business plan – $144 / month
- Enterprise Plan – custom
All paid plans offer an unlimited number of studies. The Business plan starts at 1 seat/license and this number can be customized to your needs.
Example of a solution for a UX research team:
Team plan from Maze (5 seats/licenses) vs. the closest equivalent from UXtweak which is Business plan (4 + 2 free seats/licenses).
The Maze Team plan comes to $15,000/year in comparison, the UXtweak Business plan is just $605/month or $7,260/year. With UXtweak you save more than 51%!
Not only that, but on top of that UXtweak Business offers additional benefits and features:
- Unlimited number of studies and tasks (blocks)
- Advanced panel panel targeting criteria
- Automatic QA of responses and expert audit of the study with each recruitment order from User Panel
- Mobile Usability App Testing tool
- Session recording tool with Website Heatmaps
- Preference testing tool
- Hybrid card sorting type
- Expert technical support from UX researchers
- Password protection for study access
- PDF reports
- One extra seat (license) for your team members
Example solution for a sole UX researcher:
If you are just starting out with research or you are a research team of one, you might not need as many studies. Therefore you might be considering the Starter Plan from Maze. In this case, you should definitely consider the Plus plan from UXtweak.
The Maze Starter plan offers 1 study/month and comes to $1,188/year. In comparison Plus plan with unlimited studies a month from UXtweak comes to $708/year. Again saving you more than 40%!
⬇️ See demos of UXtweak tools, and try out how the respondents would see your studies and the analytics capabilities of UXtweak:
Conclusion: Maze or UXtweak?
It’s up to you of course! However, we hope we demonstrated why UXtweak makes a great Maze alternative with nothing to be ashamed of. Try our free plan today!
So why not consider switching to a platform that is more flexible, provides more tools and better targeting, at with the most competitive pricing?